Pages

Saturday 30 December 2017

Summer Learning Journey Week 3 Day 1

Summer Learning Journey Day #1


It was common for women in the 1950s to stay home with their children and raise their family. They were called ‘housewives.’ Many housewives followed a simple rule when they prepared the evening meal: the ‘meat and three veg’ rule. This meant that they prepared dinners that included three different vegetables and a type of meat (eg. beef, lamb, or chicken).


On your blog tell us if you think that the ‘meat and three veg’ rule is a good one. Do you like the rule? Would you enjoy eating a typical 1950s dinner? Why or why not?
I would enjoy eating a meal like this because it just doesn't sound very appealing to me. You would only have 3 vegetables and it would be enough to eat with your meat.  Plus three vegetables isn't enough to eat. 
dinner (2).jpg

Activity 2 - Read through the lists. Are these popular names in your school? On your blog, tell us which names are currently popular in your school. Please provide, at least, three girls’ names and three boys’ names that are popular.

The school that I go to popular girl names are Angel, Mya/Maia/Maya that's all I think.. Popular boys name at my school is William, Moses and Joshua these are very popular boys name at my school.




Activity 3 -For this activity, imagine that you are living in New Zealand in the 1950s. Use Google Draw* to design the front of a postcard that you could send to a friend. Try to include elements of Kiwiana in your design (e.g. Pohutukawa trees, Hokey Pokey ice cream, etc). Post a copy of your postcard picture to your blog. Be sure to describe what you have drawn on your blog beneath the picture.


I have drawn a postcard on what things New Zealanders enjoy to eat and use. I put our money because we use that everyday. I also put the pohutukawa tree because it's native to New Zealand (which means that it's was in first found in New Zealand. ) I put the Hokey Pokey ice cream because that's our favourite ice cream. There as you can see I also put a flag of New Zealand that is shaped like New Zealand. Last but no least I put our Queen Elizabeth.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

hey Harrison
Thank you for commenting on my blog... My favourite part about this activity was that, I got to make my own postcard.. I actually enjoyed that activity because it represents the country that I live in...

Anonymous said...

Sup Vedel,I'm from St Pius X.
I'd agree with you on Activity 1, the meat and three veg would probably be nice but it's not enough to make me full. Like you could just make a sandwich with your meat.

Jerome✌✌✌✌✌

Nicky Bloy said...

Hey Vedel!

Fantastic job with the day one activities! I agree, meat and three veg can be a little boring if you're having it every night. When it talks about 'there veg' it means three different kinds of vegetables, rather than just three vegetables in total on your plate. So with some of each kind of vegetable, there should be enough to eat with the meat :) What do you like to have for dinner?

The name Mya (and spelt all the different ways) has popped up on other people's blogs too so it must be a popular name! The popular names when I was at school, were Jack, Josh and Emma. Where does your name come from, Vedel?

Great job with your postcard! There are so many Kiwi icons and lots of different colours. Nice job! Have you ever sent or received a post card from someone? It's quite cool receiving one from another country.

Keep up the great blogging!

Nicky :)

Post a Comment